Leadership Studies Minor
Students can receive a Minor in Leadership Studies by completing 18 hours in leadership and related courses. The requirements to complete the minor include a Principles of Leadership course, a Senior Capstone Leadership Seminar, and 12 additional hours made up of courses that are related to the study or process of leadership. Those additional courses might relate to the contexts of leadership (e.g., understanding groups, organizations, or communities), skills associated with leadership (e.g., communication, management, facilitation) or the process of leadership (e.g., ethics, group decision-making). The Leadership Studies Minor takes an interdisciplinary approach and allows the student to draw from a variety of disciplines to study the process of leadership.
Courses counting towards the student's major cannot be counted for the minor.
Other courses can be added to the list of elective courses with the approval of the Leadership Studies Minor Advisory Board and the Chair of the Department of Human Development and Psychological Counseling.
Substitutions may be made with the approval of the director. All courses counting toward the minor must be at the 2000 level or above.
Interested in the Leadership Studies Minor?
Let us know if you are interested in the minor by filling out this form. FILLING OUT THIS FORM DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE DECLARED A MINOR IN LEADERSHIP STUDIES. Do that through your major department.
Go here to download a PDF of the Leadership Studies Minor Checksheet.
- HPC 2700 - Principles of Leadership
- HPC 4700 - Senior Leadership Capstone Seminar (Prerequisites: HPC 2700, senior standing, and consent of the instructor.)
Elective Courses (choose 4)
- COM 2101 (3) Public Speaking
- COM 2124 (3) Intercultural Communication
- COM 3152 (3) Communication in Organizations
- ENT 3060 (3) Opportunity and Entrepreneurship
- HPC 3530 (3) Selected Topic: Diversity Educators
- HPC 3533 (3) Selected Topic: Women and Leadership
- HPC 3536 (3) Selected Topic: Leadership and Culture (study abroad course) 3/28/17
- HPC 3542 (3) Selected Topic: Multicultural Leadership
- HPC 3700 (3) Applied Leadership Development in Student Organizations
- HPC 4300 (3) Advanced Student Leadership Development
- HPC 4790 (3) Group Methods and Processes
- MGT 3620 (3) Human Resource Management
- MGT 3630 (3) Introduction to Organizational Behavior
- MGT 3800 (3) International Management (Prerequisite: MGT 3010 or MGT 3630)
- MGT 4700 (3) Contemporary Issues in Management & Leadership (Prerequisites: MGT 3630 or MGT 3010, and minimum grade of C in any writing in the discipline (WID) course)*
- MGT 4770 (3) Business Ethics (Prerequisites: minimum grade of C in any writing in the Discipline (WID) course)*
- PHL 2000 (3) Philosophy, Society, and Ethics
- PSY 2213 (3) Survey of Social Psychology
- PSY 3207 (3) Organizational Psychology (Prerequisite: PSY 1200)
- PA 4665 (3) Public Management (Prerequisite: junior or senior standing, or permission of instructor.)
- RM 2120 (3) Leadership and Group Dynamics in Recreation (Prerequisite: RM 2110 or approval of the instructor.)