Leadership Studies Minor
Students can receive a Minor in Leadership Studies by completing 18 hours in leadership and related courses. The requirements to complete the minor include a Principles of Leadership course, a Senior Capstone Leadership Seminar, and 12 additional hours made up of courses that are related to the study or process of leadership. Those additional courses might relate to the contexts of leadership (e.g., understanding groups, organizations, or communities), skills associated with leadership (e.g., communication, management, facilitation) or the process of leadership (e.g., ethics, group decision-making). The Leadership Studies Minor takes an interdisciplinary approach and allows the student to draw from a variety of disciplines to study the process of leadership.
Courses counting towards the student's major cannot be counted for the minor.
Other courses can be added to the list of elective courses with the approval of the Leadership Studies Minor Advisory Board and the Chair of the Department of Human Development and Psychological Counseling.
Substitutions may be made with the approval of the director. All courses counting toward the minor must be at the 2000 level or above.
Interested in the Leadership Studies Minor?
Let us know if you are interested in the minor by filling out this form. FILLING OUT THIS FORM DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE DECLARED A MINOR IN LEADERSHIP STUDIES. Do that through your major department.
Go here to download a PDF of the Leadership Studies Minor Checksheet.
- HPC 2700 - Principles of Leadership
- HPC 4700 - Senior Leadership Capstone Seminar
Elective Courses (choose 4)
- COM 2101 - Public Speaking
- COM 3124 - Intercultural Communication
- COM 3152 - Communication in Organizations
- HPC 3400 - Resident Assistant Development
- HPC 3530 - Selected Topic: Diversity Educators
- HPC 3533 - Selected Topic: Women and Leadership
- HPC 3537 - Selected Topic: Leadership and Ethics
- HPC 3542 - Selected Topic: Multicultural Leadership
- HPC 3700 - Applied Leadership Development in Student Organizations
- HPC 4300 - Advanced Leadership Development
- HPC 4790 - Group Methods and Processes
- MGT 3060 - Opportunity and Entrepreneurship
- MGT 3620 - Human Resource Management
- MGT 3630 - Organizational Behavior
- MGT 3800 - International Management
- MGT 4700 - Contemporary Issues in Management & Leadership
- MGT 4770 - Business Ethics
- PHL 2000 - Social Issues and Ethics
- PSY 2213 - Survey of Social Psychology
- PSY 3207 - Organizational Psychology
- PA 4665 - Public Management
- RM 2120 - Leadership and Group Dynamics in Recreation